Tuesday, March 13, 2007




Canadian geese nest in the vast marshes along Port Tobacco River. They fly from the marsh to spend their summer days in nearby rivers, lakes and meadows, only to come home in the late evenings and raise their babies in the safety of the tall grasses. Now it is early Spring and the geese are taking advantage of low tide to feast along the bare shoreline. Shortly after I took this photograph, the geese separated into two groups and flew off in formation across the grasses and high over the trees into one of the farms along the River. Many birds make their way along the exposed riverbed, feeding at the water's edge. Today I was able to capture this lone pelican as it took off in flight.

The picture above was taken in the Spring of 2006 when the rye grass was being plowed under at the Amish farm on the way to St. Mary's County. The farmer who was plowing was amiable with me and gestured his agreement to my picture taking. I was able to take several shots that morning and they have become some of my favorite photographs in my personal collection. So, imagine my pleasure when I was coming along the same road this morning and found the same farmer plowing his fields again. This time he was plowing more deeply, the first time for the season, and he was using six horses instead of the three he had used last year. The ground is being plowed for planting, whereas last year it was being re-plowed after rye grass had been growing for a while.

No comments: